Genre Favorites Blogfest, September 17, 2012
MOVIE GENRE – DRAMA
I'm not much of a movie person, but I'm definitely drawn more to drama, and the following memorable quotes highlight two dramatic moments from my favourite movie!
RED: Rehabilitated? Well, now let me see. You know, I don't have any idea what that means.
1967 PAROLE HEARINGS MAN: Well, it means that you're ready to rejoin society…
RED: I know what *you* think it means, sonny. To me it's just a made up word. A politician's word, so young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie, and have a job. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I did?
1967 PAROLE HEARINGS MAN: Well, are you?
RED: There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bullshit word. So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit.
RED: [narrating] I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.
MUSIC GENRE – JAZZ
I love jazz, in its many different forms/styles as performed by a wide range of artists, from legends such as Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Dave Brubeck, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan up until the present day singers/musicians. Some of the different styles are Free Jazz, Soul Jazz, Funk Jazz, Fusion, Afro-Cuban Jazz, Acid Jazz, Smooth Jazz, Cool Jazz.
A few jazz quotes…
1. Jazz is… An open-ended music designed for open minds.
— Author Unknown
2. If Charlie Parker were alive today, somebody would try to cut a disco single with and try and get him to sell three million.
— Ben Sidran
3. Anyone can learn what Louis Armstrong knows about music in a few weeks. Nobody could learn to play like him in a thousand years.
— Benny Green
BOOK GENRE – SUSPENSE/THRILLER
I love the SUSPENSE/THRILLER genre, the roller-coaster ride of ups and downs, of hairpin turns, death drop manoeuvres, slowing down and speeding up, where your heart pounds, your palms sweat and your body tenses. It includes the thrill of getting more than you bargained for, of being part of that "inner circle" and being privy to information that nobody else is supposed to know; and just when you think that the plot cannot possibly take one more twist, it throws yet another spanner into the works and the carefully constructed plans start to unravel. The protagonist is challenged by super-powerful enemies, and finds more and more obstacles in his way. Your eyes are riveted to the page as you are sucked into this exciting, danger-filled place. There are many types of thrillers such as the techno-thriller, medical thriller, political thriller, crime thriller and legal thriller.
I'm not sure if this counts… but I do feel guilty about it… I've discovered, as a "self-professed non-movie person", that I'm more inclined to watch kiddies animated movies than any other type of movie. I've watched Madagascar, Open Season, Ice Age, Barnyard, The Ant Bully, Garfield, Flushed Away, Alvin & The Chipmunks, Happy Feet and a few more which slipped my mind… 🙂
* * * * *
I'd like to thank Sherry Ellis from Mama Diaries for bestowing the "Very Inspiring Blogger" award to me.
So here are 7 pieces of trivia about me…
1. I cannot ride a bicycle and fear that I may not be able to balance…
2. When I was younger, I wanted to wear a nose ring (a small stud), but changed my mind because I suffered with hay-fever and terrible bouts of sneezing at that time. I seem to have "outgrown" the sneezing and I've lost interest in the nose-piercing idea…
3. When I am very ill, I opt for an injection in place of antibiotics. I cannot stand the thought of popping pills. They actually make you feel worse…
4. My favourite colour response: I'm a multi-coloured, rainbow nation child…
5. I can sew and crochet (from patterns too), and am interested in learning mosaic and beadwork… but there's just NO time…
6. In the mid-90's I was part of a band that won the provincial heat of a show called "The Shell Road To Fame" (sponsored by the Shell Company at that time…) and we appeared on national TV.
7. I am useless with plants… I once "killed" a cactus… now, how difficult is that? Very difficult. So that tells you. My husband never lets me forget that… LOL
* * * * *
So there you have it. Some tidbits of information about moi. I know of so many wonderful and inspiring bloggers, and most of them have already received this award on numerous occasions. So at this stage, I'm not going to pass this award on to any people. And now I'm off to check out some blogfest entries… HAPPY BLOG-HOPPING!